Thursday, May 15, 2014

Overwhelmed.

On Sunday after Assisi we finished the most beautiful bus ride I have ever been on in Siena, ready to move in with our host families. As soon as we got off the bus we were whisked away by our host parents who in our case didn't speak any English. We didn't even really get to say goodbye to the other people in our group. Then we got to our apartment and had to lift our giant suitcases up 3 flights of stairs. My fragile little 70-year-old host mom kept trying to help with some heavy stuff so I had to figure out how to stop her and speak in Italian at the same time. Then at dinner that night the food was amazing but I only understood about half of what my host parents said.... let's just say I was a bit overwhelmed. I think I came into my room after and just stared at the wall for like 30 minutes. My Italian skills are not where they should be. 

Fast forward a couple days and the overwhelmed feeling lessened with my host family but increased with a looming midterm. It just feels wrong to take a test while I'm in the most beautiful country in the world! Plus I hadn't been doing my readings so I had to catch up on those first and then study. Woke up at 7:30 am and worked all the way until 11 am. Then surprise! We had it sprung on us the night before that we were required to take a placement exam for the Dante Alighieri School classes we will be taking next week. It really wasn't that bad... but still a test. Sooo wrong. Let's just say I am glad today is over and that tomorrow we go to Florence. I have heard it has the best shopping in Italy :) 

1 comment:

  1. I thought this was going to be an all play trip...oh well, get to work!

    ReplyDelete