Thursday, May 15, 2014

Assisi: Possibly Even Better Than Rome


Just take a look at this for a sec. Yes, that's real life. I was shocked too, it's okay. 
Assisi is a tiny little town up in the hills of the Italian countryside. The streets are really old and narrow and lined with antique shops (and I thought I liked American antique shops!) You can hike above the town to find a beautiful castle and view of the green hills rolling out behind it. From now on when I dream at night this is where I will be. I've decided. My subconscious better respect that. 

One of the side streets in Assisi


We went to a restaurant for lunch called Ristorante Metastasio. Two of the guys in our group decided they wanted to take Cinzia, our director, out for mother's day. So we got a group together and splurged at this nice place that has a killer view over the countryside. Yes that picture is literally my view from where I sat for lunch. The food was amazing! I had the gnocchi which was the best gnocchi I have ever had. Olive Garden means nothing to me after this. But the really cool part about lunch was getting to hear Cinzia's conversion story and how her and her husband met. It was probably the most amazing conversion story I have ever heard. Since she probably wouldn't be comfortable with me sharing it to the world on here you should hunt her down on campus, become her best friend, and hear her story. She is an amazing lady and I am so grateful to have her to show me around Italy.  

Assisi wins. I don't know if any town can beat it.  


2 comments:

  1. WHAT a gorgeous place. I am seriously and officially jealous now. I never wanted to travel in Europe but I think I just changed my mind.

    ReplyDelete