Thursday, May 22, 2014

Culture With a Lowercase "c"

My professor started off our Italy prep class before we left by talking about culture with a capital "C" and culture with a lowercase "c." The capital "C" represents the history of Italy, museums, art, and the like. While the lowercase "c" represents the people, the food,  and just the ways a population lives their daily lives. I suspected this would be the case and it has definitely been confirmed that I love that lowercase "c" best. Don't get me wrong, my jaw definitely dropped as I rounded the corner and saw Michelangelo's awe-inspiring David or the massive Colosseum. But what I have come to love more than anything is the way that these Italians live day to day. Here are some of my favorite things about their culture that I so badly want to adopt as my own ---- >

1. Their laid back way of life: Italians don't try and keep this aspect of their lives a secret. It's pretty evident in the way they stroll down the road at a snail-pace like they don't have a care in the world. And in the way they make dinner an uninterrupted and lengthy event to enjoy with family. Italians understand what it means to live in the moment and take it all in. I have been one of those people in the past who rushes to get to the upcoming corner or next step in life. Italy has taught me a thing or two about not missing out on what I have right now in front of me for my hopes about the future.

2. The fact that they know how to throw a party: Being in public relations and interested in event planning, I have always loved to be where the people are. My friend Katy and I joke that we have FOMO (fear of missing out syndrome). After experiencing the liveliness of Italian culture, there is no question that we are kindred spirits, me and those Italians. I went to a carnival and it was 10 times better than carnivals in America. Catholic communions and Italian weddings always result in parties extending into the late hours of the night. And on the weekends here it will be one in the morning and the streets are still filled with people! I swear Italians never sleep! They just party. I envy their lives just a lot a bit.

3. Their sense of community: Within my public relations career path I have been especially interested in community relations and how people can come together to create a sense of belonging. I don't know what I want to do with this yet, but the Italians are definitely inspiring with their communities. They have these things called contradas where each section of Siena is split into one of the contradas, represented by an animal. My host family is chiocciola... which means snail... haha. Proud of it! Anyways, each contrada has their own church building and parties and babtistry and museum and the streets are decked with flags and emblems of their particular contrada. They are very proud of their little contrada community. In the palio, or horse race, that Siena holds in the middle of town every year, each contrada has a horse and jockey and competes. There are rivalries and a huge post-palio party put on by the victors. Everyone gets so into it, and their sense of community is so strong because they do things within their contrada to become more united. And although the rivalries may not necessarily cause unity within all of Siena, the event itself and hype is a way for people to participate in their town and have a sense of purpose and belonging within the community. Personally I think it's brilliant.

4. Their constantly classy appearances: It's no exaggeration that Italians wear ray bans, scarves, and look put-together at all hours of the day and night. There are so many guys walking around in European cut suits, especially in Rome. And I don't know how the girls walk around these cobble-stone streets with heels but they do it flawlessly. They also never wear shorts. And I am realizing as I see Americans walking around Italy with short shorts and pasty white legs that they can look pretty.. well... whatever the opposite of classy is. Italians have such a love for dressing up and going out and that is something I love to do. They don't need any special occasion, they just like to look well-groomed. I love it. These are my peeps right here.

5. Their appreciation of food: Spaghetti as the face of Italy may be a stereotype but it's a correct stereotype. Italians are very particular about what and even how to eat. One time I ate more bread after my last course of il dolce (sweets/fruit) and my host mom about had a heart-attack. "You're eating bread after your dessert?!!!"  Every time we try and eat our bread plain too she snatches it out of our hands and puts oil and salt on it and hands it back to us. They put dinner aside and take their time, appreciating every bite. And then after dinner they usually go out with friends for more coffee. They don't just eat pairs and eat cheese, they eat them together, and it tastes amazing. They are also cheese snobs. They won't settle for anything that is not stamped with the verification (literally) that it is good cheese. They are particular! But let's be honest, it's because Italians know best.

1 comment:

  1. Does the mafia have any type of a noticeable presence there?

    ReplyDelete